Thursday, February 10, 2011

must be WINDSday

Yup, thanks to that windchill, instead of it feeling like a "warm" 12F degrees today, it felt as cold as -16F!!! Yeah, -16F. so thank you again wind, you really burn my day, literally! my face is wind burned! haha but Trine University had vans on stand by this morning ready and willing to drive students to the cafeteria and classes, so that was a great thing to wake up to at least :)

Ah, well I guess I better finally update you on the second half of the basketball tournament we cadets enbarked on. haha Well, on Saturday, after throwing in about 5 hours of sleep, I got up and lugged my lifeless body to the van to head off once again to the Det. And, just a quick shout-out to Walt, our driver, being just such a wonderful guy. Willing to drive us multiple times that week and being able to even get a van in the first place was just wonderful of him to be there, always willing and ready to help us get to the places we need to go. Thank you Walt!!
Alrighty, so continuing, we got to the Det about 8:30am and headed off to the basketball court we are scheduled to play Purdue AFROTC at, at 9am. So we get there, ready to go, and.... Purdue never shows up. So we're like okay, whatever, we'll just play each other then since there was enough us there to just play each other on two separate teams. So we did that for like an hour then headed off to our respected scoring tables. THEN! it turned out that Purdue AFROTC was staying in a hotel only 10min from the Det! So we Trine Cadets made it to the game on time, being over an hour away, and Purdue, just 10min for the Det. couldn't make it!! And we still had to play them, no forfeits since I guess Purdue AFROTC was unaware of the game that morning, yeah, so we played them at 11am instead and got slaughtered. Final score: 82-23. :P I scored 2 points! haha But Purdue was actually really cool and apologized for not showing up that morning, so it was whatev. What sucked the most had to of been knowing we still had another game to play. Since we already pretty much played two games that day, and only got about 5 hours of sleep the night before, by this last game we all were like walking zombies haha
But the last team we played against, Wisconsin ROTC, was almost at about our level of expertise with basketball so it was actually a pretty fun game. Final score of that game was 48-25 YEAH! Even though we lost, we had over 1/2 the points! woot woot! haha And I totally got all bruised up in that game too, but it's battle wounds I'll proudly show off. I Survived playing in the Mens Bracket! ye-YAH! haha
Everyone did great too and had fun. We all started working as a team by that last game against Wisconsin so I think we really bonded more. It was cool :)
Then after that game, I checked my phone and saw Walt called. I listened to my voicemail and it turned out that we had to leave immediately because Angola was getting hammered with snow and the storm was heading right to ND, so I informed all the cadets of the emergency and called up Walt to tell them we were on our way out. We got home safely, thanks to the great driving by Walt, by about 4:30pm, and after dinner, I totally crashed on my futon at 6:30pm and didn't wake till midnight to quickly study for some ROTC happening the next day, and then went back to sleep at 1am and finally woke up, refreshed at 9am. Ahhhhhh... it was nice to finally sleep. But OH MY GOODNESS did i feel soar! You don't move like we did in basketball as we do in track, so it really awoke muscles within me that haven't moved around for awhile :P haha. But again, it was totally worth it :)

Ah well, I think i've blabbed enough haha. So even though we lost all 3 games this year,it just sets the bar low for us for next year, so we can really show the other ROTC cadets what we're really made of ;) heck yeah!
Later dudes,

~Annie

No comments:

Post a Comment